Museums connect people with artifacts and ideas that present diverse perspectives. Whatever challenges our country and communities may face, museums will continue to play a vital role through the interpretation of different cultures, the facilitation of difficult conversations, and the presentation of fact-based information.
With its theme, “Making Museums Matter: From Advocacy to Action,” the 2017 MAAM conference in Pittsburgh, PA October 19-21, 2017 will examine how museums respond to those challenges and opportunities of today, along with addressing best practices in technology, interpretation, and collection-related issues. Organizers welcome session proposals that introduce theoretical or philosophical frameworks exploring daily issues shared by all. Sessions should present differing perspectives that constructively enliven the session, and reflect the conference theme. Vendors are also welcome to submit proposals, but all panels must include at least one museum professional. The MAAM Program Committee, comprising recognized and emerging museum professionals, will review all proposals and may suggest ways that a session can be strengthened.
- The session deadline has been extended. All session proposals are due by 5 PM May 5, 2017.
- All sessions are 75 minutes.
- Only complete submissions will be reviewed.
- Decisions regarding the selection of sessions will be e-mailed to the session chair by May 26, 2017.
- All speakers are required to register for the conference at the Speaker Rate.
For conference theme and session ideas, or for more information, visit the MAAM website.